Monday, November 24, 2014

Tupperware and Wine Glasses



The landscape of your home changes when children are no longer living at home. It’s quieter and cleaner. Every room that was touched by your child when he was living there is dramatically changed when he is gone.

My youngest son may be gone, but I have gained my laundry room back! No longer is it filled with piles of clothes on the floor, in the dryer or in laundry baskets. And speaking of laundry baskets, I no longer have to hunt them down because they are right where I left them!

Then there’s the kitchen. Since becoming empty nesters, our refrigerator has seen the biggest transformation. We can actually find things in it now! It’s no longer filled with gallon milk and juice containers, cheese sticks, packs of eggs and bacon.

And then there’s the dishwasher.

With children in the house, we ran that dishwasher about every other day. I swear, every glass we owned was in it, every time, not to mention every single fork and plate.

Now, it’s filled with Tupperware and wine glasses.

Tupperware because now we actually have leftovers, and wine glasses because we only have to run the dishwasher maybe twice a week. It might look like I drink a lot of wine, but it’s actually several days’ worth of glasses.

As I write this, the prodigal son is home for Thanksgiving break. The basement has been reclaimed by him and his friends; I’m missing a laundry basket, and the dishwasher is filled with everything except Tupperware and Wine Glasses. 

It’s good to have him home.



No comments:

Post a Comment