Thursday, November 13, 2014

I Have a Name... And it's Not "Dude"

I am a Gen X, which means I was born between the mid 60s and early 80s. Throughout my working life, I have worked with many Gen Xers and Baby Boomers as well (the generation ahead of Gen X). I’m sure there were things about our generation that Boomers didn’t appreciate.

Now I’m of the “older generation” in the work place, and I work with….MILLENNIALS!


I'm quite familiar with Millennials.  I gave birth to two of them. But working with people my children’s age has been eye opening. Like every generation, Millennials have some deserved and not-so-deserved stereotypes: tech savvy, in constant need of praise and positive feedback, meaningful work, change and diversity valued, living at home AFTER college, etc.

There also seems to be the propensity the use of the word “dude” for male and females. I was use to my sons calling their friends “dude,” but that term was never used in reference to me… until I started working with Millennials.

The first time a 20 something year old man called me "dude," I said what every 40 something year old female should say, "I am NOT a dude."

And yes, I realized that I probably sounded like his mother. And if I was, I would have given him a swift kick.

He said, "Oh... I call everyone 'dude'"  

I guess that made it OK.

Here’s my definition of what constitutes a “dude”
1.      Male
2.     Under the age of 30


Clearly…. I am not a dude.

I have a name.  It’s not “dude.”  And if you try to respect my desire to not be referred to as “dude,” I’ll try to respect the fact that you think it’s OK to move back in with your parents after college.











No comments:

Post a Comment