Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A Glimpse into College Life


Disclaimer:  The following blog and subsequent imagery may cause issues for those with a sensitive stomach or are prone to pronounced gagging.  Proceed at your own risk.

Four Little Dorm Piggies 

The last time we were in Statesboro, we dropped our fledgling off for college. Nearly two months later, we made a return to visit to see him in his new, natural environment.
Before we went down, I asked my son if he needed us to bring anything from home. “A steam cleaner, haha,” was the response.

Uh Oh.

Apparently, there were a “few” stains on the carpet by the couch. That Saturday morning, we packed the car with the steam cleaner, carpet shampoo, carpet stain remover, homemade macaroni and cheese and brownies; we arrived in the early afternoon.

I texted my son as we were getting close and asked if the place was clean. He said, “It was yesterday.  Not so much now.”

This is what I expected:  maybe a few dishes in the sink; maybe some crumbs on the carpet; definitely stains on the carpet, a fairly clean bathroom (after all, his MOM was coming!).

Turns out, my expectations were set WAY too high.

This is what I got:  a sticky kitchen floor, clothes and towels in piles all over the living room; a bathroom with two hairy, toothpaste ridden, black stained sinks, shorts and underwear on the floor and a frightening toilet bowl. 

His bedroom looked like the bedroom he left at home- clothes covering every inch of the bed with an unidentifiable odor. 

I think I gagged a little bit.

As shocked as I was, my husband simply asked, “What did you expect?” 

Not a hazmat site, that’s for sure.

So I did what any respectable mother would do, I did some cleaning. I tackled the hairy sink first, sprayed the spots of whatever what was on the carpet and steam cleaned. The color of the dirty water that came from the steam cleaning can best be described as, “coal.”

The rest of our visit was much more enjoyable. We went to lunch, tailgated and played corn hole, met several of his new friends and went to the football game. I only felt mildly out of place because I wasn’t wearing a blue dress and cowboy boots like 95% of the female attendees. Overall, the day brought back many good college memories for my husband and me.

Matt, Austin and Garrett at the football game
Tailgating 
The next morning, we stocked up on a few cleaning supplies at Walmart before meeting our son for lunch. I expected more of the same in regards to the dorm, but I was pleasantly surprised. Our son was actually mopping the floor when we showed up and later, we received a picture of a very clean dorm. There is hope.

With both our boys, we realize it’s a privilege to be included and invited into their new lives. We never stop missing either of them, but it gives me comfort to know they are happy and thriving in their lives away from the nest.

We look forward to our next visit, but we’re not sure if it will include a dorm visit. If it does, I will be toting rubber gloves and possibly a hazmat suit.



No comments:

Post a Comment